Productions plugin: Two steps forward, one step back
I've made a lot of progress on my plugin. All of the content can be created and edited directly within the plugin. Site administrators can add and edit seasons, venues, and plays. They even have the ability to update cast lists, production and audition dates, and upload publicity photos. The only things left to do were to enable the ability to delete some of those items when needed, and then make the code more "generic" so it would work on another server, instead of only on my specific server.
Or so I thought.
Unfortunately, a user doing a perfectly reasonable thing pointed out a big hole. Somebody posted a comment on a page for a specific show. Unfortunately, the way Wordpress manages comments, those comments would appear on EVERY show's page. So now I have to see if I can figure out a way to tie comments to specific shows. Until then, I've disabled comments on the show page, as I think it would cause more confusion than it's worth.
I also want to see if I can tie into the Wordpress search system, so that, when somebody does a search, it will check all of the plays in the database, and not just the "normal" posts.
A programmer's work is never done. *sigh*